Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/2002 09:50:59
Oh yeah, I forgot that:  With a rw /usr, crashes can be more
dangerous and fsck takes a while.  fsck on a 50MB partition
and a /home will take far less time.

And on the dev system, when I'm trying something risky
(like a wierdo dangerous device driver), I'll make
*everything* readonly for the boot (or the kernel module
load).

When (not if:) it crashes, no lost+found, no fsck.

Null mounts have some baggage - 1) they've been a little
iffy at times and 2) they can confuse the hell out of people.

ls -l /var/tmp  showing a link to /mfs/var.tmp/  is pretty clear.

or 6 of one, 1/4 of 2 dozen of another...

Quoting Andrew Brown (atatat@atatdot.net):