Subject: Re: NFS timeouts (sorta weird)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/2002 09:57:35
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:

> So, I have a little netbooting box, and for a long time, it Just Worked.
> A while back (maybe September?) I started having trouble with it.  Sometimes
> it can netboot.  Sometimes it can't.  When it can't, the symptom is
>
> mount_nfs: bad MNT RPC: RPC: Timed out
>
> What's weird is, sometimes just trying again makes it work.

I ran into a similar problem on a low-memory NetBSD-1.6K server (only
16mb ,while I was shopping for SIMMS to replace some I'd identified as
bad.) In my case, "mountd" and "rpcbind" were being swapped out
persistently, and evidently taking to too long to swap back in. Upping
"vm.execmin" to '20' took care of it. You could see from running "top"
on the server, if you have the same problem.

Frederick