Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 22:07:39
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

# 3) Avoidance of some mistakes with /.
#   I make / generally 50MB and leave it like that.  Room for a couple
# kernels and this and that, but not so much that I don't notice
# where there are some core files or, once, backups going to /dev/rts0
# (a file rather than the intended device: rst0 - seems a client's
# backups were going to an overwritten file for a month or two from
# that - root at 75% on install means you notice that fast).

Wow, that pretty much covers one of my rationalia for this, yeah.

#    Well, in systems used by groups of people (ie. not at home), /usr
# and /usr/local (oft the same) grow and this gets replaced and someone
# needs that and put it in and, oh where did the space go?
#
#   /usr can have a bunch of extra space, have multiple versions of
# X in it, I don't care.  But mistakes in / need to be obvious.
#
# There's no joy in finding: / is now at 100%.
#
# 40GB root scare me and lead people to really sloppy system admin.

"Hi, my name is Joe, and I'm a Sloppy Sysadmin..."
"WELCOME, JOE!"
"I started making 120GB root partitions and putting everything under them..."

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Twice the Bits-Clean of other Leading OSes.