Subject: Re: Did I miss a thread on build.sh and the "-E" flag?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 12:53:19
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>
> > It's generally safer to do a full build into a DESTDIR and then use a
> > variety of techniques (including the new "installsets" target I mention
> > above) to install the new files.  Of course, you're free to build to
> > DESTDIR=/, but as build.sh without -E complains, you should be an
> > "expert" to do this (which means, ``don't complain if it breaks'' :-)
>
> What's the difference between complaining and asking about problems on
> current-users before I file a pr? :)

None. I believe the point is that we are going to stop supporting (as in
answering bug reports, etc.) DESTDIR=/ builds. The tools will still do
them, just you're on your own.

As part of that, we're trying to make it easier to do the things people
liked of DESTDIR=/ builds w/o the DESTDIR=/ bit.

Take care,

Bill