Subject: Re: Did I miss a thread on build.sh and the "-E" flag?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 11:46:37
On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 10:02:02 +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:49:52AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
>   | I know I'm not supposed to build to "/" but it's easy and I've hosed my
>   | system several times by trying to manually copy files from a different
>   | DESTDIR.
>
> There's a solution for this now; after a "make DESTDIR=/foo build" do
> 	cd distrib/sets
> 	make DESTDIR=/foo INSTALLDIR=/ installsets

I thought we were supposed to use build.sh? I am still confused about
the "right" way to upgrade from sources.

Can this be documented in http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current?
It now says: "To build the binaries into some other location (in case
you're paranoid about tromping on a running system), just alter the
DESTDIR setting, ...". So DESTDIR is only for paranoids? And it does
not explain what to do after a build -D.

	rvdp