Subject: Well known port 445 (microsoft-ds)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juha Hyttinen <jthyttin@lce.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/2002 20:59:22
Hi,

this list seemed most appropriate for my question. I'm wondering if
there's any particular reason, why port 445 (microsoft-ds) is not present
in NetBSD /etc/services?

I ran into this in my IPFilter logs while playing with samba and W2k
clients. Windows 2000 tries to contact samba server using ports 139 and
445. As far as a quick web search revealed, those are for "SMB over
NetBIOS over TCP" and "SMB over TCP", respectively:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q204/2/79.ASP

IANA seems to have assigned port 445 (www pointer from /etc/services):

The version of /etc/services I checked was 1.58 (latest on branch MAIN):

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/basesrc/etc/services

If there's no problem, could someone add this into CVS tree (sorry for not
providing a patch)?

--
Juha Hyttinen
LCE sysadmin group