Subject: Re: Dynamically Linked NetBSD-Current
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/2002 00:50:01

You should check out tech-userlevel@ and tech-toolchain@.

> I was curious how this is working out for everybody. Obviously the
> system is smaller now because of this change but how about system
> performance in comparison to 1.6 release?

That's what I have been doing for the last a couple months as the name
of 'prebinding' and 'RelCache'. RelCache enabled dynamically linked
binaries give significantly better performance compared to the normal
ones in many cases.

> Also, will this change eventually be part of NetBSD 1.6.1?

Very unlikely. This is one of the major changes between 1.6.x and 1.7.

> (Personally, I am looking forward to this for security reasons. I was
> using OpenBSD a long while ago when a security fix effected a library
> that was also found in a number of the system's statically linked
> binaries. A totally dynamic system would have made that an extremely
> easy fix.)

Seconded.

Jun-Young

--