Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/2002 02:28:00
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:34:44AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
  | In any case, unpacking sets to do an "install after build" phase is still
  | lame, esp. since there is no automated way to do it.

As discussed elsewhere, having an easier method of updating / from
$DESTDIR is a laudible goal, and one that I'm working on.

  | process more foolproof.  And this is the first time that "build.sh" has
  | screwed the process up, and it's a pretty minor screwup.

I'm not so sure about that; there have been other issues with build.sh
&& DESTDIR=/ builds, and there will be in the future.

It's nearly impossible to setup build.sh to support all the possible
(circular ?) dependency options for DESTDIR=/ builds, which is why we
have "UPDATING" for those situations requiring manual intervention in
those cases...

I think it's a sensible goal to improve the reliability *and* ease of
use of our build system.

Luke.