Subject: Re: newfs can't make filesystems over 1TB in size
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/2002 09:10:53
On Dec 10,  6:45pm, Bill Studenmund wrote:
}
} > 	That doesn't fix the filesystem size problem, but
} > does allow us to populate multi-tb disks with 1-tb filesystems.
}
} Actually, as I understand ffs, it will support 2^31 fs-blocks (fragments).
} Thus ffs will get us farther than 1-tb. Not much, since I don't think we
} want to go TOO much farther than 4k fragments.
}
	What I've found by looking at the code is that mkfs() in newfs(8) checks
to see if the total number of media sectors is over 2^31.  If it is, it
bails.  So, if we supported sector sizes of 1024, or 2048, we'd be in
business for larger filesystems.
-Brian
} > 	I'm in favor of this approach, but would now like guidence on how
} > folks think it should be undertaken.
}
}