Subject: Re: nathanw_sa branch
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2002 21:20:51
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:04:49AM -0500, John Franklin wrote:

 > How close is the nathanw_sa branch from being folded in to -current?

"Getting closer."

 > How functional is it on i386/MP systems?  I figure it's not in any way
 > production code, but would those-who-know classify it as:

Not functional on MP systems right now, afaik.  There are some
locking bugs in MI SA code.

 > 1. Guaranteed unusable for any system, may set fire to certain CD-RWs.
 >
 > 2. Usable, used by some developers for day-to-day use, but crashes/locks
 > the system from time to time.
 >
 > 3. Reasonably stable used by some developers, waiting for other MD code
 > to be completed before bringing into -current.

There are several people running the code in semi-production environments,
so it's pretty stable.  There are still some stability issues, even with
non-threaded apps, but they're known, being worked on, etc.

some of the biggest issues are ABI concerns.. it would be nice to
have just one semi-flag day, not 4 or 5 real ones.