Subject: Re: newfs can't make filesystems over 1TB in size
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2002 17:35:20
	Just to be clear about the problem we're talking about.  The problem is
that NetBSD currently cannot address disk sectors above 2 TB of data.
Worse, because the disk info is printed as signed integers when being shown
to users, disks larger than 1TB show up with a negative number of
cylinders, heads and sectors.
	Bill is proposing that we convert our disk labels
and internal disk addressing schemes to use quad_t, which is a signed
64-bit value.
	That doesn't fix the filesystem size problem, but
does allow us to populate multi-tb disks with 1-tb filesystems.

	I'm in favor of this approach, but would now like guidence on how
folks think it should be undertaken.
-thanks
-Brian