Subject: Re: newfs can't make filesystems over 1TB in size
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2002 13:42:06
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 10:35:31AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Let's see. When I was at Fry's last week, they had 100 GB disks (might
> have had bigger, I didn't look). 40-disk arrays are available (and have
> been for quite some time). 40 * 100 GB == 4000 GB which is much more than
> 2 TiB.
>
> We need to start fixing this.

320GB SCSI disks have been available for some time.  You need only 7 of
those to exceed 2GB, so a fairly simple, commonplace array configuration
of two 6-disk shelves each configured as RAID5 with a spare, striped, will
run into the disk and filesystem size limits.

I've _already_ seen this cause people to use Linux, Solaris, or FreeBSD
instead of NetBSD.  That's not cool, particularly since people with big
disk arrays are typically the kind of high-profile or at least well-funded
sites that can bring lots of other people along with them when they choose
an operating system.

Thor