Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2002 13:24:22
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 06:14:33AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:41:16PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
>
>  > hopefully I am not alone in this, or someone knows what may be wrong...
>  > below is my original message, with what leads up to the error.
>
> This is apparently a symptom of groff's constructors not being run
> correctly.
>
> What that means is that you have inconsistent crt* files wrt. to the
> host compiler.  Until you correct this, your host compiler will not be
> able to generate any working C++ programs.

In fact, if you try to build using the top-level Makefile and without
setting DESTDIR, you will end up with a C++ compiler and /usr/lib/crt*
that are inconsistent, due to the build order.  In the past, we used
to teach the top-level Makefile to work around such problems but now
I guess we don't.  The same thing will happen if you naively use
build.sh, AFAICT; the tools gcc will build a bad groff (if this is not
the case, I'm not sure how it happened to me, which it did).

You can build with NOMAN= set, then build again, or you can set NOMAN,
then rebuild /usr/lib/crt*, libiberty, and g++ -- your choice, either
way you get out of the hole.

Thor