Subject: Re: USB etehernet & serial
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/2002 10:02:53
On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:05:43AM -0700, emanuel stiebler wrote:
> Anybody out here is using any ethernet or serial on USB ?
> Any recommendations what really works ?

I have a USB ethernet (that came free with my cable modem
some time ago), and which I cart around in my laptop bag for those
odd occasions when I want a third physical ethernet interface.

It doesn't see frequent use, but has withstood pretty solid activity
on those occasions when it does get pulled out.  It probes thus:

aue0 at uhub0 port 1
aue0: @Home Networks @Home USB 10/100 Adapter, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
aue0: Ethernet address 00:10:b5:c3:e8:68
acphy0 at aue0 phy 1: AC101 10/100 media interface, rev. 11
acphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I gather it's a rebadged version of a common device, several others
are listed in the aue(4) manpage, and I've added this one.

Although it supports 100FDX on the wire, you obviously won't be
able to sustain that rate over the usb, so it's not great for bulk
traffic use.

I run -current, though this has worked since long before the 1.6
release and I'd expect it to be fine there, too.

--
Dan.