Subject: Re: VueScan (Linux emulation)?
To: current-users@netbsd.org <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@ssh.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2002 23:23:54
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> >Hmm.  According to ktrace, it loks like it's using /proc/scsi/scsi to search
> >for SCSI scanners!  I may be able to beat it if I can find something of the
> >right format and stick it in a plain file.
> Well, that gets it as far as opening the device... After which it
> attempts ioctls that we don't apparently support. It looks as though
> the Linux version is using their "sg" SCSI generic driver, rather
> than any kind of scanner driver... So, I may just lose.

I have been using vuescan on NetBSD for some time with my own kernel
loadable module that emulates the /dev/sg, /proc/scsi/scsi,
/proc/sys/kernel/sg-big-buf enought to get vuescan 6.4 to work. The
later vuescan do not work as they reject the /dev/sg device because it
does not support one SG_GET_TIMEOUT ioctl (I the lkm never sees those
ioctls, I think the linux emulation stuff eats those).

Anyways if someone else (I already sent this information to seebs)
wants to use this the lkm can be found from the
http://www.kivinen.iki.fi/lsc/

The current 1.2 version works at least with netbsd 1.6I current. Older
versions worked with various 1.5 versions. The scsi driver, lkm stuff,
creating devices etc has changed multiple times, so if you kernel
version is something older than that you might need to modify the code
yourself...
--
kivinen@ssh.fi
SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/