Subject: Re: 1.6_STABLE / macppc, recent pte.h and pmap.c changes
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2002 18:21:09

    >> on my powermac 440 and beige g3 recent
    >>
    >> sys/arch/powerpc/include/mpc6xx/pte.h           1.9
    >> sys/arch/powerpc/mpc6xx/pmap.c                  1.51
    >>
    >> produce a
    >>
    >> Illegal instruction - core dumped
    >>
    >> of several programs (at least sshd, chgrp, chmod) when they are
    >> called the first or second time. After several tries they
    >> work!?

    Chuck> the syncicache stuff that was added in that delta appears
    Chuck> to be inadequate, try adding this bit at the top of
    Chuck> pmap_syncicache():

    Chuck> 	__syncicache((void *)pa, len);
    Chuck> 	return;

Hmm, with this change the machine becomes more 'sticky' and does no
longer react in situations where a 'clean' core dump happened before.
I can't describe it better at the moment because these are unattended
machines...

Because I cannot login anymore: Anything else I can test when I
connect a terminal, anyway?

Markus.