Subject: Re: preferred method for maintaining local changes
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2002 02:25:59
[ On Saturday, November 9, 2002 at 22:19:13 (-0500), Sean Davis wrote: ]
> Subject: preferred method for maintaining local changes
>
> Hi, I'm wondering what everyones preferred method of maintaining local changes
> to NetBSD src/pkgsrc is. I've tried a union mount (specifics below) but it had
> some oddities that I didn't like. Any ideas?

If that's the only level of change control you need then why not just
check it out using CVS and just make changes in your local working
directory without ever checking anything in?  That's what I've been
doing for some time now and it works quite well.  I just run "cvs
update" when I want to move to the head of the branch/trunk.  CVS does
the right thing to merge with local changes and any conflicts are
properly marked after the update.

I do the checkout from a local copy of the repository that I keep
up-to-date with a nightly rsync job, but you could work direct from
anoncvs.netbsd.org too.

If I need to freeze some milestone I just copy the whole damn tree, run
"chmod -R a-w ." on the archive copy, and be done with it!  ;-)
(yes, I keep the builds outside the tree with WRKOBJDIR=/var/package-obj)

--
								Greg A. Woods