Subject: Re: PIII overheat detection (redux)
To: Bryan J. Phillippe \(spamblock\) <bryan-spamtrap5@darkforest.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2002 14:46:35
--- "Bryan J. Phillippe (spamblock)" <bryan-spamtrap5@darkforest.org>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently posted about a problem I have on a PIII notebook running
> NetBSD
> (*) where the laptop shuts off about two hours into a ./build of
> current
> src.  After doing a bit more research, it appears this is the
> standard
> behavior of the PIII when it begins to overheat - it will shut off.
> Most
> likely my notebook BIOS/mainboard detects this and powers the whole
> system
> down.

Does the laptop have a fan and does it turn on after heavy usage? The
only way to prevent a power-off is to cool the system down either by
throttling it back and/or turning on a fan. Usually the first will
happen automatically before it shuts down, but I don't think NetBSD can
detect clock speed changes at run time (nor Linux nor FreeBSD).

> Is there not some kind of interrupt or event raised by the CPU when
> it
> begins to overheat, that we can trap on and back off the scheduler or
> something?

Hardware monitors maybe? There is some sort of support in NetBSD I
think, although I don't know the drivers can do/support some sort of
notification or automated response.

> (*) Tried latest current with ACPI patches.  The laptop is an HP
> pavilion
> zt1230.  CPU reports as:
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: Intel Pentium III (Tualatin) Pentium III Xeon (686-class),
> 1333.20 MHz

Maybe this is actually a bug in the cpu identification code (how many
*Xeons* are shipped in laptops)? It probably doesn't relate to power
issues, since both types of CPUs would be put in ACPI-capable systems.