Subject: Re: VueScan (Linux emulation)?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2002 10:40:57
In message <Pine.NEB.4.44.0211091231090.17802-100000@triton.invisible.ca>, "Jar
ed D. McNeill" writes:
>On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> So, there's this program called VueScan which is widely recommended as being
>> better at making scanners work than, say, xsane.  Unfortunately, its platfor
>ms
>> are Windows and Linux and MacOS... The Linux version will start under NetBSD
>,
>> but it refuses to find any SCSI scanners, and seems to imply that I need the
>> "sg" driver... But I can't find any way to tell it to try a specific driver,
>> such as /dev/ss0.
>
>If it's running under Linux emulation, you should be able to do it.
>
>Assuming it uses /dev/scanner0, making /emul/linux/dev/scanner0 a symlink
>to /dev/<your real device> should do the trick.

Hmm.  According to ktrace, it loks like it's using /proc/scsi/scsi to search
for SCSI scanners!  I may be able to beat it if I can find something of the
right format and stick it in a plain file.

Yup... I can now get it to the same I/O error I will get until I reboot; this
is really weird, because the "wedged" state for ss0 survives having the
scanner power-cycled while the PCMCIA card is removed...  Only an actual
reboot seems to fix it.

-s