Subject: Re: wi(4) sends no unicast packets in ibss/promiscuous mode?
To: None <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2002 12:49:01
>>>>> David Young writes:

David> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:50:34PM -0600, David Young wrote:
>>  Will someone confirm that using -current sources, wi0 will not
>> receive unicast packets if it is simultaneously set for IBSS ("ad
>> hoc") mode and promiscuous mode?

David> Sorry the subject and body disagree. I really do mean that a
David> host will not *receive* unicast packets under these conditions.

Hmmm, weird. I was just about to say "Yes, I've seen this with my
Orinoco silver cards for a couple of years now, in both ibss and
access point mode", but then I ran a small test and everything
suddenly seems to work just fine with a tcpdump running (without
-p). In ibss mode that is, I can't test hostap right now.

That is what I like so much about bugs that you find in NetBSD; if you
just ignore them for long enough they tend to go away by themselves,
almost by magic... ;-) ;-)

Kind regards,

        -- Urban