Subject: Re: /rescue
To: Julio Merino , Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/2002 18:14:41
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2002/11/03/0024.html

I thought that /rescue would only lose things that required dynamic
linking.  1.6 /bin/sh (static-linked) supports line-editing, as does
/bin/ksh.  It would be unfortunate if these features were rewritten to
require shared libraries.  (I'm also distressed to hear that the size of
the /rescue binaries was the issue.  /rescue is supposed to be
static-linked; size isn't so crucial, is it?)

Could we get back fully functional, dynamic binaries by rebuilding (just
disable dynamic linking)?  ("Fully functional" in the sense of no loss of
historic features.  I understand that the new localization features based
on dlopen() would not be present, of course...)

Lastly, re. Lennart's comment: My understanding was that the
dynamic-linked stuff was just going to be thrown in for -current.  The
hope seemed to be that after people started using it, they would isolate
the performance problems (which were anticipated or noticed early on by
experimenters) and fix them before a *release* was made with a dynamic
base system.

The problem should be resolved before the next release, but I never got
any impression that the problem would be resolved before the code was
merged into -current.