Subject: Problem with pkg_info and ftp://ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Affonso <gary@serversidesoftware.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2002 09:10:06
Hello,

Just got NetBSD 1.6 up and running on a Starmax 3000 (MacPPC) computer.  I'm
having a problem with the package tools.  When I use pkg_add or pkg_info
with an ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/ target, I get the following:

  ftp: connect to address 2001:4f8:4:b:2e0:81ff:fe21:6563: No route to host

Then pkg_info hangs, does a bunch of disk thrashing, and finally quits,
returning me to my prompt.

I would assume that's an IPv6 address in the error line above (I know next
to nothing about IPv6).  Don't know how that address got there, all my
network settings (IP address, gateway, resolvers, etc.) are either normal
IPv4 addresses or standard DNS names.

I can connect to ftp.netbsd.org with no problem.

The routing table does show lots of IPv6 addresses that I did not
specifically ask to be there (at least I didn't mean to).

I've considered rebuilding the kernal with IPv6 disabled, but since all of
the network tools seems to be v6 savvy (and their config files contain v6
entries) I thought maybe I should actually try to learn about what was going
on first. :-)

Any tips?

Thanks!

- Gary

P.S.  Is this the right place to ask these questions?  I've lurked for the
last 20 or 30 messages and they seem, mostly, to be regarding development
issues with the *latest* kernals.  Should I be asking this somewhere else?

Server Side Software
5614 8th Ave NE
Seattle, WA  98105
Voice: (206) 525-4786