Subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite 1900 and NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/2002 21:31:05
On October 25, 2002 06:10 pm, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Further to my previous message about the silence of the auich, I wonder if
> I got the best value.  I am still within the 10 day retrun period so I
> thought I might collect a few opinions.

Well, no opinions but I gota little further.  In the meantime I decided to
get a better unit so I switched it within the 10 days to another Toshiba, the
CTX2410.  This one uses an M4 so it would be beter on power usage, it is
slightly smaller and lighter, has a scroll wheel and the NVidia GeForce 4
video card.  However, it has some extra problems.  I am probably going to
switch back but I thought I would see if there is anything I can do first.

The video will only run at 640x480 no matter what modes line I put into the X
config.  I thougt I would try the drivers from NVidia but they won't compile
on a NetBSD system.

More importantly, it hangs after about 10 minutes of inactivity.  It seems to
be some sort of suspend thing because it is fine as long as I keep using the
keyboard.  I can't even turn off the suspend feature because there is no BIOS
interface.  The BIOS is controlled by a Windows program so I can't check it.
Is it possible that apmd will solve that problem?

Other than that it seems like a nice unit but if I can't fix those two items
then it pretty much doesn't work for me.

> KDE is giving me problems too.  Something fails and spits out constant
> KNotify messages but I can't find anything that tells me what the actual
> problem is except that "something" crashed with a SIGABRT.  I reinstalled
> KDE from scratch and it worked for a while then started doing the same
> thing.

This turned out to be some sort of network access thing.  I could make the
problem appear and disappear simply by configuring the network.

> Sometimes when resetting the screen (exiting back to the xdm login window
> for example) the screen goes wonky.  I am running at 24 bit colour and
> wonder if I shouldn't be doing 16 but if it is supposed to work at 24 I
> sure would like to.

I haven't seen that on the CTX yet.  It is annoying but I can work around it
if I have to.

> I haven't had a chance to try the DVD player or the CD-R yet.  I installed
> ogle and will try later.  Is that my best choice?  I tried installing
> mplayer but it can't find the download bz2 file.

I never did get that working.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/