Subject: Re: tar/pax, where's the "verify" option gone ?
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/2002 17:44:36
[ On Wednesday, October 30, 2002 at 21:56:55 (+0100), Xavier HUMBERT wrote: ]
> Subject: tar/pax, where's the "verify" option gone ?
>
> I've been off the list for a couple of weeks, but now, when I read the
> threads about it, none seem to complain about the --verify aka -W flag
> removal.
>[[....]]
> Why, God why, has been this option removed ?

It's extremely trivial to verify archives in many cases (or even all
cases provided you have lots of free space for temporary files as big as
your archive) without any special non-"standard" options:

	tar -cf foo.tar foo
	tar -cf - foo | cmp - foo.tar

(this doesn't seem to work for compressed archives, but then if you're
compressing things you probably don't care as much about integrity :-)

> Hint : for those who dare dealing with the GNU devil, why no not keep
> old tar, naming it "gnutar" or 'gtar". An alias could do the
> substitution in the global environment...

"cd /usr/pkgsrc/archivers/gtar; make install clean-depends clean"  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods