Subject: wi and MacOSX airport
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/2002 14:37:45
hi all.

I have a prism2.5 based wireless card (Netgear MA401 and MA301 PCI
carrier) in an i386 running -current.

The card is recognised as:

wi0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Netgear MA301 PCI IEEE 802.11b (rev.  0x02)
wi0: interrupting at irq 10
wi0: 802.11 address 00:09:5b:0d:f4:bc
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3873B(PCMCIA)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.0.7), Station (1.3.6)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

It is currently configured in host-ap mode.

The problem is that MacOSX on the powerbook (usually) cannot see the
wireless network. Upon booting the NetBSD box, the powerbook sees the
network for a few minutes, but attempting to join it results in the
very helpful "There was an error joining the selected AirPort
network" message. Running a continuous ping on both ends reports
"host is down", no packets are received by either end.

After the NetBSD box has been up for more than a few minutes, OSX
cannot see the wireless network at all. In adhoc mode, the result
is the same.

The kernel logs:

wi0: device timeout

a few times, usually shortly after boot. I have removed other PCI
cards from the system and changed the slot number, to no avail.

I have verified that adhoc mode works between Win2k on the PC and
the powerbook, so it would seem the problem lies on the NetBSD side.

Any ideas? If other info for debugging is required, I'll provide
what I can.

grant.