Subject: Re: Translated manual pages
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2002 10:53:55
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:36:59PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> Translations, by definition, delay, and lost accuracy / quality from
> the original text to some extent.  Are such situations okay even if
> translations be as a part of NetBSD base?

IMHO yes, at least for the delay. The original is there too, so anyone who
is able to read english can look it up.

People that can read english but prefer the native version will judge the
quality of the translation themself, and file PRs if they notice lossage.
It's not like the "I don't buy translated comercially published computer books
any more" phenomenon - we can fix broken translations ourself.

Martin
(And I actually don't buy translated computer books if I can read the original
language)