Subject: Re: Translated manual pages
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2002 00:48:23
In message <20021029041453.GA9898@rek.tjls.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
>What _harm_ could localized manual pages possibly do?  Japanese users and
>developers have made tremendous contributions to NetBSD, to BSD, to Unix,
>and, indeed, to computing.  If someone wants to start contributing localized
>manual pages -- particularly Japanese manual pages -- I think it cannot
>possibly be but for the best.

What harm?  A massively increased chance for bitrot.  Imagine, if you
will, that someone who *doesn't* speak Japanese makes a change to something
which needs to be documented.  What's this person supposed to do about
the localized man page?  Let it be flat out wrong?  Learn a new language
to update it?  Does he have some way to force updates in the foreign language
version?

Wrong documentation can be worse than no documentation.

I'm not actually making an argument for or against localized man pages
here - I'm just answering the quesiton "what harm...".

-s