Subject: Re: Translated manual pages
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2002 15:05:27
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:14:53PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > >Eeek?
> > >Do you know actual user who is against localized man page?
> >
> > Yes. I really heard that. not mail. not BBS. My ears.
>
> Well, I hope -- that's not to say that I do, but that I hope -- that I speak
> not only for myself but for the rest of the NetBSD developers when I say, "to
> hell with him".
>
> What _harm_ could localized manual pages possibly do?  Japanese users and
> developers have made tremendous contributions to NetBSD, to BSD, to Unix,
> and, indeed, to computing.  If someone wants to start contributing localized
> manual pages -- particularly Japanese manual pages -- I think it cannot
> possibly be but for the best.

In Korea, a lot of technical books are poorly translated by people who
don't have a good knowledge on the subject, and even Korean grammar.
I regretted that I bought such books quite a number of times, so these days
I no longer read or buy translated books. I also have heard a lot of people
complained of poor quality of translated books. The same thing could happen
with translated manpages, if they were not thoroughly proofread by
developers (and other translators in the team).

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>