Subject: Re: Translated manual pages
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/2002 20:26:45
>>>>> "Lubomir" == Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org> writes:

Lubomir> from my personal experience localized manual pages are
Lubomir> usually terribly out of date.

Agree. When i was a FreeBSD user, i've started a french translation
project to produce french manpages. Apart the various problems with
groff and accents, the main problem i've had to solve was the
continuous flow of original manpages updates... Furthermore, it
involves some changes in "apropos" and related db files.

Look at cvs update in -current and it will give an idea of the task.
So, I went to the same conclusion : i prefer have up to date manpages
than obsolete (may be wrong) localized ones...

That said, this localisation could perhaps only occur for -release, we
"only" have to delay the announcement until all these localized
manpages are in synch with original ones... Is it possible? It's _a
lot_ of work!

--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1339273055 secondes