Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6I first impressions
To: avon barksdale <avon@flatlet.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-current-users@quatriemek.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2002 10:40:07
Le Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:13:22 -0500
avon barksdale a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:04:17AM +0100, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> > No DRI support
> >    I think this is the reason why movies are not played smoothly in
> >    mplayer and ogle. Or perhaps it is something else.. A quick look
[...]
> As far as recommending ways to increase speed...
>
> - dmesg                 (Perhaps the DVD drive is not using DMA)
> - xdpyinfo | grep XV    (Make sure the XVideo extension is enabled)
> - color depth           (There's MMX code for 16 bit, but not 24)

The problem is definitely not related to speed. I guess it's more a
synchronisation problem between mplayer and XFree86. One day I'll have a
look at what goes on in mplayer that could produces this.

When I switched from FreeBSD to NetBSD, I kept the same XF86Config, and I
observe the exact same thing on my laptop, which has a different hardware.

The difficult part now is that I got used to the problem, so I'm not
bothered. But I'm pretty sure smoothness is related to the number of FPS,
which would definately indicate a synchronisation issue.

cube

--
That's how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything
for the swim back.