Subject: Re: tar ignores filenames that contain `..'
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2002.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2002 09:32:37
I might suggest that checking just "../" is short sighted.
Checking for combinations of one or more "../" that
pass $TOP of the tree are the dangers.  Beneath my tar
"tree", I don't and shouldn't care about relative links;
only when it passes the TOP of the tree do I get anxious.

Quoting Jason R Thorpe (thorpej@wasabisystems.com):