Subject: Re: Install problems with AIC-7899
To: None <retos@viewmark.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/2002 18:05:23
"Reto Schulthess" <retos@viewmark.com> writes:

> ahc1: at pci 6 dev 6 function0: unable to map registers
> ahc2: at pci 6 dev 6 function1: unable to map registers
>
> I looked in the archives and found messages about this error and that it had
> been fixed.  Does anyone have information that would help me install NetBSD
> on my Dell PowerEdge 2650?  Thanks in advance for your help.

If you can boot any kernel at all and run pcictl, or better still if
you can boot -d (to start in the kernel debugger) and type "w/l
pci_config_dump 1" "c" and capture the output of that, it would help
determine what the problem with the register space is.

Failing that, just knowing the kernel's boot messages regarding the
pchb and any ppb's would be useful; you can get them from the install
floppy by going to a shell and running "more /kern/msgbuf". The
relevant bits on my machine, for example, are:

pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0: Advanced Micro Devices AMD762 NorthBridge (rev. 0x11)

ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: Advanced Micro Devices AMD762 AGP Bridge (rev. 0x00)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled

ppb1 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: Advanced Micro Devices AMD768 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev. 0x04)
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled

        - Nathan