Subject: Re: Hardware or toolchain error?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2002 03:04:15
--wTWi5aaYRw9ix9vO

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:01:22PM +1000, Murray Armfield wrote:
>     I have recently seen similar messages which were associated with funny
> memory combinations.

I don't think a single 512 MB DIMM counts as a "funny memory
combination", do you?

(That's not sarcastic. :^>)

> Sometimes a compile error, sometimes a panic,
> usually in uvm, sometimes just hung. Was very random behaviour.

Sounds familiar. I've had two panics and two compile errors.

>     Can't say for sure, can you test with other ram?

Not easily. That's the only DDR RAM DIMM I own, and this machine
takes nothing but.

When I get some time to do so, I'm going to take the machine down
and run memtest86. If it shows anything curious, I'm simply going to
return the DIMM I've got.

If not, is it possible that we've recently introduced a bug with
addressing "large" (because it's not, really) quantities of RAM? I'm
running:

NetBSD grappa 1.6F NetBSD 1.6F (GRAPPA) #8: Thu Aug 15 00:54:54 EDT 2002   =
  gr@grappa:/mp3/tmp/netbsd/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GRAPPA i386

Kernel config available if it'd help.

Fwiw, I did *not* have these problems until I started using that 1.6F
kernel. It's possible that my userland is out of sync with it in
some way, but I don't think so. (Could I be seeing this behavior if
memory management syscalls had changed subtly and I had a libc that
didn't know about it?) I've still got 1.6D and 1.6B kernels I could
fall back to.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net