Subject: FYI: kqueue branch merge very soon
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2002 10:32:25
Hi folks,

the kqueue branch is currently in state I consider as finished. I might
still want to do some touches to the branch, but it's basically
ready for merge.

The branch has only been tested on x86. Even thought there is quite
a lot untested machine-specific kqfilters, these were written using
code from devices' poll routine, so it should work as well as poll
for them.  Still, there is some possibility of problems when using
kevents with these drivers.  Time will show :)

I'll probably wait one more week, and merge it into -current. The
support will thus appear in next NetBSD release.[*]

If you want to experiment with this before the merge, you need:

1. checkout kernel sources with tag 'kqueue' (cvs co/update -r kqueue)
2. install includes from kqueue kernel ('make includes')
3. set WITH_KQUEUE in /etc/mk.conf, then build+install new libc
4. to config the kernel, you need config(8) from 2002/09/28
   (cd usr.sbin/config; cvs update -D 2002/09/28)

See also manpages for kqueue(2) and kevent(2). There is regression
suite under regress/sys/kern/kqueue/ you might want to use for initial
check the basic functionality works.

Jaromir

 [*] There are no plans to backport it to 1.6 nor older releases.
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/