Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2002 21:03:07
[ On Saturday, October 12, 2002 at 18:16:04 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
>
> Indeed, rmt is very important. I do remote dumps with both tar and
> dump. I have 15 systems and 2 tape drives.

Maybe you might think about using Amanda.  It makes it easier to get
more reliable backups with guaranteed coverage of everything you deem
important, at the frequencies you deem important, and without really
increasing the complexity as the number of client systems increases.

Amanda can also make finding the right tape to do restores much easier
too, and you can easily do restores across the network, though you're
not force to (nor are you forced to use amanda to do restores at all).

Amanada uses its own network protocols and can internally use dump
and/or tar depending on your requirements.  (i.e. it's not reliant on
rmt support on either clients or servers.)  I think backup images can
easily be compressed before or after they cross the network too.

--
								Greg A. Woods