Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2002 15:09:58
On Jan 28, 12:12am, Anders Magnusson wrote:
} > On Mar 3,  9:20am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
} > }
} > } But supposing I don't want my backups in dump format, but in USTAR?
} > } pax(1) lets me do that... but not remotely. GNU tar lets me do it,
} > } remotely too.
} >
} >      Traditionally tar didn't support rmt.  I just checked tar on
} > Solaris 8 and it doesn't.  The man page suggests using rsh and dd if
} > you want to use remote tape drives.
}
} Actually, rtar has been available since 4.2BSD, patches for tar was
} floating around on the net ~20 years ago. Google finds them:

     Perhaps, but it isn't included with SunOS 5.8, SunOS 4.1.3, or
NetBSD 1.5.2.  So, it couldn't have been very common.

}-- End of excerpt from Anders Magnusson