Subject: Re: Any known probs with MP i386 and > 1GB mem?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Murray Armfield <murray.armfield@arconsulting.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2002 10:05:02
On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:38 am, you wrote:
> Murray Armfield <murray.armfield@arconsulting.com.au> writes:
> > My understanding was that for a model of processor, a speed rating
> > is really a quality control aspect of the manufacturing
> > process. There may be several chips that make it through the
> > maufacturing process, but they reliably run up to different speeds
> > due to small variations in manufacturing process. The manufacturer
> > then releases these with different speed ratings. Note they are all
> > the same electrical design. This information relates to processors
> > around a couple of years ago. It may be different now.
>
> This is partially true, but it only applies when you know that two
> processors are from the same mask and process. Sometimes a
> different-speed CPU is one that has had a slight process shrink and
> has probably had it's masks re-spun along the way, incorporating any
> bugfixes at the time. Speed alone doesn't tell you what mask revision
> something is. There are also times when the masks for a processor at a
> given speed will be respun, and so even identical-speed CPUs can be
> different.
>
>         - Nathan

OK. Given you mention that this can occur for two "identical" processors =
(ie=20
same speed rating), I'm a little worried. How can one tell which `version=
' of=20
a processor you have. I can see no differences in dmesg on these two alth=
on=20
MPs other than the speed rating.(Not the running speed)

Thanks for up to now, and in advance,

Murray