Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2002 14:17:54
[ On Friday, October 11, 2002 at 13:11:07 (-0400), Jed Davis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
>
> Also, I think I'm not alone in saying that there needs to be *some*
> kind of tar on the system, regardless of its provenance.

Yes, of course!  Absolutely I agree!  However it'll just be the one
that's a front-end command-line parser to 'pax', which is created by
simply linking /bin/pax to /bin/tar (and /bin/cpio) (and re-adding the
missing manual page(s)).  The support already mostly exists except for a
couple of GNU Tar features which are still needed by pkg_add et al.

The OS tools themselves though, such as pkg_add et al, should as soon as
conveniently possible be converted to use the native 'pax' interface
(and the more portable archive format, etc.).

--
								Greg A. Woods