Subject: Re: Large drives and reasonable newfs options
To: Petter Lindquist <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@ipv6.netscum.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2002 11:44:11
[IPv6-only mail address; remove the obvious in case of need to reply
 if you're not capable of doing so directly]

Moin
%s wrote on %.3s, %lld Sep 1993

> newfs -g500m -i1m -b16k -f2k /dev/wd2e
> gives me a flying system with almost no meta data waste.
> It gives me kernel panics. I've played around quite a lot with newfs, and

Is it possible you're running into the same problem I saw, with a
divide-by-zero, or something similar, as you're overflowing some
32-bit numbers?  Does it happen when you `mkdir'?

I experienced this problem under FreeBSD and NetBSD, reported it to
the lists for both (search the archives) and made a patch which I
don't think made it public, but I'll happily supply on request.

I've also applied this patch to my NetBSD source tree, and now
I have no problems with any of my three OSen mounting the fs that I
created.  As far as I can see, a patch based on my hack hasn't made
it into the source tree anywhere, but I also expect that UFS2 will
have addressed the issue...

barry bouwsma