Subject: Re: make release problems
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/2002 13:04:45
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:47:19AM +0200, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
  | hi,
  |
  | On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:00:39AM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
  | >
  | > I had '.sinclude "/usr/pkg/share/mk/cpuflags.mk"' which added
  | > -march=pentiumpro to the options. I removed this and everything is ok
  | > now.  Too bad one can't build an optimized release...
  |
  | the whole problem can be solved by using the default COPTS for building
  | release floppies.  i haven't had the time to look at it but it shouldn't
  | be that difficult.  i also filled a PR some time ago, see toolchain/18291.

this has been a (low priority) issue that i've wanted to look at for a
while.

basically, we need an easy way of saying:
	COPTS+=-Os -turn-off-march-settings-which-bloat-code
in the appropriate locations of distrib/* and possibly the kernels
built by etc/*   (if you want your own kernel with different -march
settings *and* you want to build releases, it's probably best to call
your custom kernel something other than GENERIC{,...} or INSTALL{,...}

when i get some time, i'd be happy to work with some people debugging
this.

luke.