Subject: Broken 1.6?
To: current-users@netbsd.org, VAX porting list <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2002 11:53:15
Machine is an VAX 8650, running 1.6I.
I pulled down the tarballs for the official 1.6 distribution, since I was
having trouble with -current.
Installed base, comp, text, and rebooted.
Things are *not* working.
Something was done between 1.5 and 1.6 which breaks on atleast the 86x0.
Once more things have just deterioated for me, and I'm getting mighty
sick. It seems that for some reason I never have a stable NetBSD/vax.
Do anyone know what was done between 1.5 and 1.6 that might have this
effect?
I very much doubt that the fact that I'm running a -current kernel has
anything to do with this. The kernel seems to hum along just fine.
Applications get illegal instruction traps all over the place, though.

The system, as it is now, is barely usable in standalone. sh works, but
csh don't. inetd barfs, as do a number of other things. Basically a
totally unusable system.

If anyone want's to help me out on this one, please let me know, and we'll
see what we can uncover together.

	Johnny