Subject: Re: Anyone else seeing fxp0 die?
To: None <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2002 02:55:33
> > > Oct  1 21:31:27 allison /netbsd: fxp0: device timeout

> I just upgraded my fxp box to 1.6 today. When booting the 1.6 CD the
> kernel fiddled some with the eeprom on my fxp, and it told me I couldn't
> use the device until my machine was restarted.

It's a completely separete issue, as we are talking about NetBSD-current,
not 1.6.

> Is this documented somehwre?

The source code may help you to get further information:-)

Captured from sys/dev/ic/i82557.c
	/*
	 * Systems based on the ICH2/ICH2-M chip from Intel, as well
	 * as some i82559 designs, have a defect where the chip can
	 * cause a PCI protocol violation if it receives a CU_RESUME
	 * command when it is entering the IDLE state.
	 *
	 * The work-around is to disable Dynamic Standby Mode, so that
	 * the chip never deasserts #CLKRUN, and always remains in the
	 * active state.
	 *
	 * Unfortunately, the only way to disable Dynamic Standby is
	 * to frob an EEPROM setting and reboot (the EEPROM setting
	 * is only consulted when the PCI bus comes out of reset).
	 *
	 * See Intel 82801BA/82801BAM Specification Update, Errata #30.
	 */

Atsushi Onoe