Subject: Re: Dynamic libraries, bad libc and problems...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2002 15:14:52
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:

# > ??? Why do that? A much safer thing to do is make a release (add -R and
# > don't have -d around) and install the tar files.
#

# *That* I would probably (not) recommend. Then you get files installed in
# what would probably be defined as the very wrong order. In case your tar
# stops somewhere in the middle, you'd have a really botched system, such
# as /bin installed, but not /libexec, or /lib.
#
# You should be able to guess what happens after that.

Actually, seeing as the original install method for BSD was
precisely this -- install the tar sets -- I have no problem with
doing this manually.  I haven't run the sysinst script in over
a year, and I have never done a script-assisted upgrade (because
of my inherent distrust in such things).  I like, actually, having
the luxury of being able to do an upgrade onto an alternate set of
filesystems and then switch over when I'm convinced it's stable.

				--*greywolf;
--
Of course it runs NetBSD.