Subject: Re: Dynamic libraries, bad libc and problems...
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2002 17:23:40
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 04:24:29PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>  > I cannot just remove the link from libc.so.12 and then relink it, unless
>  > I'm mistaken, since ln now needs libc.so.12 to exist for it to work.
>  > I cannot boot /rescue, since that one *too* is built on the latest libc,
>  > and so I don't trust it.
>
> ...and the hole in your argument -- a static /bin or /sbin would also have
> been linked against the new libc, and thus by your argument, you would not
> be able to trust it.

I expected that someone would jump. Yes, using static linking wouldn't
help me.

However, for me, this was just the typical proof that thing *do* hit the
fan, and rather more often than once every ten years, which some claimed.

>  > And what happened between 12.86 and 12.88??? Or did something happen to
>  > gcc recently for the VAX?
>
> I am having no trouble with a bleeding edge VAX build (in fact, I just did
> a GCC 3.3 "make bootstrap" on my 4000/60).

Irritating and wierd. I'm pulling in -current now, and I'll start with
trying to build a new kernel and then userland again. Let's hope things
work better...

	Johnny