Subject: RE: Building -current fails in conf.c
To: 'Lubomir Sedlacik' <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/2002 10:59:36
-----Original Message-----
From: Lubomir Sedlacik [mailto:salo@Xtrmntr.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:40 AM
To: Rose, Brian
Cc: NetBSD-current (E-mail)

> as of NetBSD 1.6 you don't run make directly in the tree anymore
> but use build.sh.  you want to use the config binary which was
> built into the tools directory.  same with make later in kernel
> building process.
>
> i'd suggest you to build binary release and upgrade from the
> sets.
>
> e.g.
>
>  cd /usr/src
>  ./build.sh -D /path/to/DESTDIR -d -O /path/to/OBJDIR \
>  -R /path/to/RELEASEDIR -T /path/to/TOOLDIR
>
> (you don't need to specify DESTDIR, OBJDIR and TOOLDIR but i
> prefer to have /usr/src clean)
>
> and wait.  then upgrade from binary sets built in
> /path/to/RELEASEDIR. if the GENERIC kernel isn't suitable for
> you, you can build your custom one using tools from
> /path/to/TOOLDIR, nbconfig and nbmake.
>
> after rebooting to single-user with new kernel unpack your
> sets to / (except etc.tgz) and update your /etc with etcupdate
> binary after unpacking etc.tgz to some location (e.g. etcupdate
> -b /root/tmproot).
>
> regards,
>
> --
> -- Lubomir Sedlacik

Thanks for the info!

Continuing my -current diary...

 # cd /usr
 # mkdir sets
 # mkdir sets/dest
 # mkdir sets/obj
 # mkdir sets/tools
 # mkdir sets/release
 # cd src
 # ./build.sh -D /usr/sets/dest -d -O /usr/sets/obj \
   -R /usr/sets/release -T /usr/sets/tools
 config: cannot create /usr/sets/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC: Nos such
file or directory
 *** Error code 2

 Stop.
 nmake: stopped in /usr/src/etc
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 nmake: stopped in /usr/src

There's that troublesome config again. If I ls /usr/sets/obj I see a binary
and an installation folder. No sys folder. Should config create it or should
it already be there? Is config getting the wrong path?

Should I continue down this road, or just do an update from the sets on the
FTP site?