Subject: Re: Building -current fails in conf.c
To: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/2002 14:40:21
--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

hi brian,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:22:47AM -0400, Rose, Brian wrote:
>=20
> I had actually updated config after the kernel build initially failed (my
> /usr/sbin/config file is dated 25 Sept). I just did not put it my email. =
I'm
> still getting used to keeping up with -current, so please bear with me.
>=20
> I decided to start over from the top. This time I'll elaborate more becau=
se
> I am writing this message as I do the process. Forgive my verbosity, but I
> need to find out what I am doing wrong.
>=20
>  # cd /usr/src
>  # cvs update -dP
>=20
> Consult /usr/src/UPDATING and see what changes have transpired since 1.5.=
3,
> which is my original install.
> It looks like I should update the following...
>=20
> [...]
>
>  # cd /usr/src
>  # ./build.sh -t
> =20
> No problems there. Let's try making the /usr/src/usr.sbin/config again
>=20
>  # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
>  # make clean
>  # make depend
> make: "/usr/src/tools/Makefile" line 5: Malformed conditional
> (${TOOLCHAIN_MISSING} !=3D "yes")
> make: "/usr/src/tools/Makefile" line 9: if-less endif
> make: "/usr/src/tools/Makefile" line 9: Need an operator
> make: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> make: "/usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk" line 92: warning: "cd /usr/src/tools &&
> make -V .OBJDIR" returned non-zero status
> make: stopped in /usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.6E-i386/bin/nbyacc    -d
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/gram.y
> make:: not found
> *** Error code 127
>=20
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
>=20
> =20
> Same problem. Do I need to update anything else? HELP!

well, the same problem because nothing has changed in between :).  you
are still using the same toolchain.

as of NetBSD 1.6 you don't run make directly in the tree anymore but use
build.sh.  you want to use the config binary which was built into the
tools directory.  same with make later in kernel building process.

i'd suggest you to build binary release and upgrade from the sets.

e.g.

 cd /usr/src
 ./build.sh -D /path/to/DESTDIR -d -O /path/to/OBJDIR \
 -R /path/to/RELEASEDIR -T /path/to/TOOLDIR

(you don't need to specify DESTDIR, OBJDIR and TOOLDIR but i prefer to
have /usr/src clean)

and wait.  then upgrade from binary sets built in /path/to/RELEASEDIR.
if the GENERIC kernel isn't suitable for you, you can build your custom
one using tools from /path/to/TOOLDIR, nbconfig and nbmake.

after rebooting to single-user with new kernel unpack your sets to /
(except etc.tgz) and update your /etc with etcupdate binary after
unpacking etc.tgz to some location (e.g. etcupdate -b /root/tmproot).

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --