Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jdev@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/2002 01:49:04
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:05:05PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> The actual 'problem' is that references to code functions within a
> library have to be looked up (rather than being fixed to relative
> junps by the linker).  This is an ELF 'feature' that makes it easy
> for an application program to completely kill the operation of a
> library by 'accidentally' defining a function with the same name
> as a library function.

For extra fun, define global data with the same name as a library
function; preferably the name should be that of a well-known call that
the program doesn't use directly (so no compiler warnings) but that a
loadable module that the program doesn't deal with directly (e.g. an
nsswitch plugin) does use.  (My instance: "uname" with glibc and NIS.)

--Jed  (and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming)

--
<?xml version="1.0"?>  <?xml-stylesheet href="http://panix.com/~jdev/xs/txt.xsl"
type="text/xsl"?>   <sig name="Jed Davis">  <id dom="oberlin.edu" lp="sjld8197">