Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/2002 11:09:42
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:05:05PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
  | On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:58:37AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | > On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:39:14PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
  | >   | 1) If I build a program it still has /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so as its
  | >   |    interpreter  (the system stuff all has /libexec/ld.elf_so).
  | >   |    Following the extra symlink does take measurable time
  | >
  | > If it really causes a user grief with their old applications, rewrite the
  | > .interp section in the elf header; there should be room to rewrite
  | > "/usr/libexec/ld.elf_so" -> "/libexec/ld.elf_so".  I'd rather not have
  | > two copies of these programs, for something which the namei() cache
  | > should be caching anyway.
  |
  | For existing binaries the symlink is (probably) fine.
  | But the toolchain ought to be adding the correct interpreter
  | for newly linked programs - and it doesn't seem to.
  | (Rewriting the .interp section is just and exercise in printf and dd.)

An unrelated netiquette point:

The email of mine that you are quoting was a private reply of mine
to a private message of yours.

Generally, you should ask permission from someone if you're going to
quote from their private email in a message on a public forum.

You did not ask me first before you quoted from my private reply.
I'm ... annoyed ... that you did not ask.  In the future, please do so.

(Back to our regularly scheduled program)