Subject: Re: Changed mount_mfs behavior?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tld <tld@tld.digitalcurse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/2002 00:47:00
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> IMNSHO that wasn't a terribly "smart" default.  The MFS for /tmp should
> probably be somewhat smaller than the available swap size, and using the
> swap size of one partition in one disklabel when you've got many swap

I don't think so. The addressable space you need is just memory used + mfs
space (if we count that as extra).
Hence, if I use 80MB of memory at most (as my home PC does) and I have
512MB of ram, I will suffice a 150MB swap to have a 512MB mfs and no
problem at all. In normal cases (=when I don't need a big mfs) I do not
even configure a swap space if I have at least 128MB, and I never got
problems with that.

But let me tell you something funny I came accross. :)
If I have (on a i386 1.6RC1) a mfs /tmp "quite big" (more than phisical
RAM, in my case 1024MB), no matter how much swap space I have (in my case,
~1400MB), system will hang as soon as I fill as much space as the free
physical RAM. Hard.

I have tried on just one machine, but might be worth investigating.

Greetings,
	TLD