Subject: Disappearing IPv6 addresses and SSH X11 forwarding
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2002 18:54:14
I'm using -CURRENT on sparc64; uname is:
 NetBSD rubisco 1.6H NetBSD 1.6H (RUBISCO) #11: Fri Sep 13 19:29:47 EDT 2002     jdev@rubisco.jdev.dhs.org:/src/syssrc/compile/RUBISCO sparc64

Apparently, whenever basesrc sshd tries to bind a port for X
forwarding and no interfaces have IPv6 addresses assigned, it tries to
bind the IPv6 "wildcard" address and fails, but doesn't then try to
bind IPv4 instead.  (As determined with ktrace.)  pkgsrc sshd does try
IPv4, and succeeds.

But when I try to assign an IPv6 address (e.g. ::1/128 to lo0), it
eventually disappears (generally within 24 hours or so).  ifconfig -L
doesn't indicate an address lifetime, and I can't find a cron job that
might be inadvertently clearing it.

So are these bugs or features?

--Jed

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."